Where are the headquarters of the Church?

The seat of the patriarchate moved from Antioch ca. AD 518, after a period of turbulent history, to various locations in the Near East until it settled in Deyrul-Zafaran monastery in Mardin, Turkey, during the 13th century. After another period of heinous violence during and after World War I, which took the lives of a quarter million faithful, the patriarchate was transferred to Homs, Syria, in 1933, and later to Damascus in 1957. Since 1996, the Patriarch resides in the Patriarchal monastery in Ma`arat Sayyidnaya, in the outskirts of Damascus, but continues to administer the Church from the Patriarchate in Bab Touma, Damascus

Antioch on the River Orontes (today Antakya in Turkey) was the city where the earliest Christians fleeing from Palestine after the resurrection of Christ established themselves and it was here that Christians were called by this name (Acts 11:28, 14:28). It is here that St. Peter, the Chief among the Apostles, founded a church in AD 37. 

Antioch became the seat of a bishopric which administered the early Church in the Syriac speaking Eastern parts of the Roman Empire. At the Synod of Nicea, this bishopric was recognized as one among four Patriarchates with jurisdiction over all the East. The seat of the patriarchate moved  after the period of turbulent history that lead to an unfortunate schism, to various locations in the Near East until it settled in Deyrul-Zafaran monastery in Mardin, Turkey, during the 13th century. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are the headquarters of the Church?

What is the language of the Church?

How does the Syriac Orthodox faith differ from other Christian faiths?

Is the Syriac Orthodox Church a monophysite church?

Is the Syriac Orthodox Church also called the Jacobite Church?

Is the Syriac Orthodox Church the only church that traces its origins to the Church of Antioch?

What is the relation between the Syriac Orthodox Church in Antioch and the Syriac Orthodox Church in India?






Website -  Conceived, Developed & Maintained by C.S.Paul  for St.Gregorios Church & Mission Centre, Hosur

       - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED -   



Comments