posted 31 Aug 2012, 05:52 by C S Paul
updated 31 Aug 2012, 05:52
The Paradox Of Our Age
By Dr. Bob Moorehead
- We have taller buildings, but shorter tempers, wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints.
- We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less.
- We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time.
- We have more degrees, but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgement, more experts, but more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.
- We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry too quickly, stay up too late, get up too tired, pray too seldom, and watch too much TV.
- We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values.
- We talk too much, love too seldom and lie too often.
- We've learned how to make a living, but not a life, we've added years to life, not life to years.
- We've been to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor.
- We've conquered outer space, but not inner space, we've done larger things, but not better things, we've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul.
- We've split the atom, but not our prejudice, We write more, but learn less, plan more, but accomplish less.
- We've learned to rush, but not wait, we have higher incomes, but lower morals, more food, but less appeasement, more acquaintances, but fewer friends, more effort, but less success.
- These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, tall men, and short character, steep profits, and shallow relationships.
- These are the times of world peace, but domestic warfare, more leisure and less fun, more kinds of food, but less nutrition.
- These are the days of two incomes, but more divorce, of fancier houses, but broken homes.
- These are the days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands,overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill.
- It is a time when there is much in the show window, and nothing in the stockroom.
- Today, many want to gain the world at the "mere" expense of their souls.
- Evil is contemplated and performed with both hands, yet we cannot lift a finger for our fellow man.
- May God have mercy on our souls. Pray without ceasing. Let each of us examine our own ways.